Is your grandad to blame for your hair loss?
You can now invoice him for the cost of a hair transplant with GetHair
Meet a typical hair transplant prospect, right after sending the invoice to his grandad!
When it comes to hair loss, there's often a blame game involving genetics. We've all heard the common saying that you inherit your hair genes from your mother's side of the family, but is that really the whole story?
Understanding Genetic Causes of Male Pattern Baldness (MPB)
Male pattern baldness (MPB) is a type of hair loss that is caused by genetics, which often follows a predictable pattern. The typical pattern of male baldness begins at the hairline where it gradually recedes backwards to create an “M” shape. It can also start at the back of the head in a circular area where the hair begins to thin and expand in size over time.
While genetics play a significant role in determining whether you will experience MPB, it is not simply a matter of inheriting the “baldness gene” from your mother’s side. The key factor in MPB is the X chromosome, which men inherit from their mother. However, there is more than one gene involved in the development of MPB, and these genes can be inherited from both their mother and the father.
The grandfather connection: It’s hair-editary
In 2008, researchers  made a groundbreaking discovery regarding the genetic factors contributing to hair loss. They found that your hairline isn’t solely determined by your mother’s genes but rather, both sides of your family tree have an influencer. The findings uncovered that the gene lies on chromosome 20 which can be inherited from both the mother and the father, meaning male pattern baldness can be linked not only to a man’s maternal grandfather but also to their paternal grandfather and father too.
Another scientific research  has revealed that a man is 2.5 times more likely to experience hair loss if his paternal grandfather is bald. A more recent study  also found that 6 of the genetic variants associated with male pattern baldness (MPB) are located on the X chromosome, which is passed down from mothers to sons. This suggests that both the maternal and paternal grandfathers can influence a man’s risk of developing MPB.
These findings show a clear connection between your grandfather and the likelihood of inheriting male pattern baldness (MPB). Contrary to previous beliefs, which solely associated MPB with the maternal grandfather, it has now become evident that both sides of the family tree can wield influence over your hairline.
Though hair loss can be linked to a number of factors, research has shown that family history is the strongest risk factor for developing male pattern hair loss .
80% of men over 80 experience hair loss
The number of people affected by male pattern baldness is staggering, with scientific research showing 80% of men over the age of 80 experiencing some degree of hair loss . Even younger men aren’t exempt, with around 42% of men aged between 18 and 49 affected by MPB .
You can now send your grandad an invoice for your hair transplant
An average of over 10,000 searches per month for, “Does baldness come from mother or father?” show people are clearly looking for someone to blame for their hair loss… That’s why GetHair is giving you the chance to fight back against your genes by invoicing your grandfather for the cost of a hair transplant. Simply fill in the details below to download an invoice* to send straight to your grandad!
Enjoy a free accommodation in Istanbul with your grandson while he gets a new head of hair!
The first 30 Grandfathers whose Grandsons book a hair transplant through GetHair will receive a hotel accommodation in Istanbul, including airport transfers and breakfasts! (T&Cs apply).
*Disclaimer: This invoice is fake and has been created solely for creative purposes. It is not a legitimate invoice and should not be used for any form of payment or official business.
The study involved collecting data from reliable sources, such as scientific literature and medical journals. The data was analysed to draw conclusions about the genetic causes of male pattern baldness. Google search increases were collected using Google Trends and Keywood Tool, data is correct as of 05/09/23.
Terms and conditions
– Participants can be of any age.
– Participants have the option to bring their grandad for the surgery in Istanbul, Turkey, but it is not mandatory.
– Verbal confirmation of the relationship with the grandad is sufficient; no additional proof is required.
- Surgery Booking:
– The hair transplant surgery must be booked and completed by 31st May 2024.
– Booking is subject to availability and on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Travel and Accommodation:
– Accommodation for participants is always included in the quote provided by GetHair.
– GetHair will additionally cover the cost of the grandad’s accommodation in Istanbul for 2-3 nights, depending on the duration of the patient’s surgery.
– The accommodation will be provided at one of the hotels currently in partnership with GetHair, including Limak, Park Inn, and Marriott, subject to change.
– A separate room will be provided for the grandad, inclusive of breakfast.
– GetHair will also cover local transportation costs to and from the airport for both the participant and the grandad.
– Any additional expenses incurred during the stay, excluding breakfast and local transport, will be the responsibility of the participant and/or the grandad.
- Promotion Limitations:
– This promotion is not transferable but can be used in conjunction with other offers, discounts, or promotions offered by GetHair.
– GetHair reserves the right to modify or cancel this promotion at any time without notice.
– Participants and their grandads are responsible for their own travel insurance, including medical coverage.
– GetHair will not be held liable for any loss, damage, injury, or any other unforeseeable incident that occurs during the trip.
- Photography and Privacy:
– A photograph of the participant and the grandad will be taken before the surgery and may be published online by GetHair.
– Participants have the right to request their faces be blurred in the published photograph.
- Acceptance of Terms:
– By participating in the “Invoice Your Grandad” campaign, participants agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions.
- Governing Law:
– These Terms and Conditions are governed by the laws of England and Wales, and any disputes arising out of or in connection with them shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.
By participating in this campaign, you confirm that you have read, understood, and agree to these Terms and Conditions. GetHair reserves the right to reject any participant who does not comply with these Terms and Conditions.